Our 'Diversity & Cultural Awareness’ course is designed to support anyone working in a culturally diverse environment who requires a more in-depth understanding of how to work and communicate across cultural lines.
Training is aimed at employees interacting with people from different countries at home or abroad on a regular basis. The aim of the course is to raise awareness of culture and diversity, and provide culture general frameworks and tools on approaches to, tactics in and etiquette surrounding working and communicating across cultures.
The course generally covers the following points:
- The concept of culture and how it impacts on working relationships
- Overview of diversity models
- Awareness of own working and communication styles
- Working practices across cultures
- Intercultural communication and virtual communication skills
- Applying cultural knowledge to the various cultures the participant(s) deal(s) with on a regular basis
The course will help participants to:
- Gain an understanding of the mechanics of culture and its influence in the workplace
- Improve their awareness of their own preferences related to working and communication practices
- Deepen their cultural knowledge of the specific culture(s) and similarities/differences in working practices and communication styles
- Improve their intercultural communication skills
- Gain skills and knowledge to help maximise participants’ potential when dealing with different cultures, bridge the cultural gaps and create cultural synergy
- Develop effective personal techniques and action plans to help overcome cross-cultural problems/ challenges at work when working with people from other cultures
Participants will discuss, evaluate and review various situations, from different perspectives, in order to reach a deeper understanding of working and communicating across cultures.
Methodologies may include a mix of the following: reading material, quizzes, map completion, use of artefacts/photos, role plays/simulations, exercises, analysis and discussion of DVDs/audio clips, small group work, individual presentations and case studies. The open format will allow participants to ask questions and discuss previous experiences as well as practical issues surrounding the challenges and opportunities of working and communicating successfully in culturally diverse environments.